Vital Statistics - Birth Records
Other Related Links
NYS DOH Vital Stats | Website
NYS Adoption Registry | Website
New York City DOH | Website
Out of State Births/Deaths | Website
A certified copy of a birth certificate for a person born in Troy, NY can be obtained from the Vital Records office either by coming in person or by mail. There is a $10 fee for each certified copy of a birth record.. The office is located in Troy City Hall at 433 River Street. Office hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. The telephone number is (518) 279-7309 or (518) 279-7312. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate?
- The person on the birth certificate if over 18 years old.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate.
- A person with a NYS court order.
You must have proper identification to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate or the birth certificate of your children. A certified copy of a court order is required for children in your custody.
Identification requirements - Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
A. One of the following forms of valid photo-ID
- Driver license
- State issued non-driver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo-ID
- Employer's photo-ID card
- Police report documenting the loss or theft of positive ID
B. Two of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility or telephone bills
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months
What is the fee to obtain a birth certificate?
- There is a fee of $10 per certified copy of a birth certificate.
- Fees are payable by cash, check, or money order to The City of Troy.
- We do not accept payment by credit or debit card.
How to request a certified copy of a birth certificate
- In person by coming in to our office in Troy City Hall; or
- By mailing a completed application or a signed written request along with a photocopy of your ID and the fee to:
Troy City Hall
Attention: Vital Records
433 River Street
Troy, New York 12180
Birth and death records are NOT public records and their confidentiality is protected by New York State Public Health Law. Vital Records are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are not subject to public inspection.