not public record — Birth and death records are not public records and their confidentiality is protected by New York State Public Health Law. Vital Records are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are not subject to public inspection.
A certified copy of a death certificate for a person who died in Troy, NY can be obtained from the Vital Records office either in person or by mail.
Death Certificate Application
You may request a certified copy of a death certificate by completing our Death Certificate Application (PDF).
A certified copy of a death certificate may only be issued to:
- The spouse, parent, sibling or child of the deceased
- Other persons who have a:
- Documented lawful right or claim
- Documented medical need
- New York State Court Order
If the applicant is not the spouse, parent, sibling or child of the decedent, a lawful right or claim must be documented. (An example of a lawful right or claim would be a death record needed by the applicant to claim a benefit. Documentation would consist of an official letter from the agency verifying that to process the claim they require from the applicant a copy of the requested death record.)
There is a $10 fee for each certified copy of a death certificate.
We accept cash, check or a money order as payment. We do not accept payment by credit or debit card. Please make checks payable to City of Troy.
You must have proper identification to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate. Application must be submitted with one of the following types of identification (submit only one):
- Driver's license
- State issued non-driver photo ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo ID
- Employer's photo ID card
- Police report documenting the loss or theft of positive ID
- Two recent utility or telephone bills showing applicant's name and address
- Two letters from a government agency dated within the last six months
Request by Mail
You may also request a certified copy of a death certificate by mailing a completed Death Certificate Application (PDF) or a signed written request along with a photocopy of one of the required IDs from the previous list and the fee to:
City of Troy
Attention: Vital Records
433 River Street
Troy, NY 12180
If you submit a written request, please include your signature along with the following information:
- Name of deceased
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Mother's maiden name
- Relationship of person making request
- Purpose certificate is being requested
- Number of copies
- Address to be mailed to
- Copy of one type of identification previously listed
Please make checks payable to the City of Troy.