To Be Eligible
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must have a valid NYS driver's license.
- Vision corrected to 20/40 in each eye.
- No felony or misdemeanor assault convictions.
- No current pending criminal charges.
- Have a GED or High School Diploma.
- Must pass a civil service test, physical agility test, background investigation, interview with TPD panel, pass a psychological exam and medical screening.
- Candidates must be at least nineteen (19) years old on or before the date of the examination. Eligibility for appointment as a Police Officer begins when the candidate reaches age twenty (20). Candidates who reach their thirty-fifth (35th) birthday on or before the date of the written examination are not qualified except as follows: Candidates may have a period of military duty or terminal leave, up to six (6) years as defined in Section 243 (10-a) of the Military Law, deducted from their age for purposes of determining whether they meet the age requirement.
- Take and pass the Civil Service exam
Check the City of Troy's website for Exam Announcements.
- Pass the physical agility test according to the Cooper standard at 40%.
View the Agility Test Chart (PDF).
- Pass a background investigation conducted by a TPD detective.
- Interview with the hiring panel.
- Accept a conditional offer of employment.
- Take and pass a psychological exam.
- Pass a medical evaluation.
Police Officer Study Guide
The study guide is provided by the NYS Department of Civil Service and is the official source of information to help you prepare to take examinations in the NYS Entry-Level Law Enforcement Officer Series. View the Police Officer Study Guide.